Re: excibition print sizes + one more question

>There are quite a few considerations when you start with a show.
>
>For instance:
>
>are you going to try to sell?
no

>are you going to frame?
maybe, but if i go for the larger sizes, i am thinking of maybe gluing on thin wood board, with no border (see for the reason at the end)

>how much mat space should each image have?
>will you offer matted prints as well as framed pieces?
>how will you protect the matted pieces if you offer them?
>how will you display the matted pieces?
>
>So if you're intending to offer the prints for sale off the wall then
>you need to consider:
>
>will people prefer to buy a little something to tuck in a corner of
>their office, bathroom or study?
>or will they prefer to buy something of substance to place over their
>fireplace or sideboard?
>will they prefer to frame the pieces in their own taste?
>do you want your pieces framed according to your concept, is the
>framing part of the presentation?
>
>So now some answers from my perspective:
no to all of those...

>if you're not going to try to sell, then how you frame is completely up to you.
>if you're going to frame then how much money do you have?
will use thin board.black or white on top, white in teh core....
money & cost is no problem, cos i am doing this partly for the status ;-)
and my painter freind will help me with the matte boards...we will buy wholesale and cut the frames at his own machine...it is just the materials' cost

>mat width goes up with print size but a mat smaller than 2" (~5cm)
>looks stingy on a 8c12 print and it has to go up to 3.5" for a 12x18.
that can be no problem

>35mm film has a ratio of 2:3 which does not go with a frame for an 8x10
>In the US many discount stores sell frames in standard sizes and they
>mostly don't go with a ratio of 2:3
i am scanning and cropping at will...since i can make the frames as i like them

>archival mat materials are essential, because there's no point in
>matting if the mat is going to destroy the print
>shrink wrapping is expensive in the US so we use clear plastic bags
>which come with a foldover flap that has glue on it, like an envelope
>a well designed bin is essential to sell prints
not interestedin archiving thsi work..the biggest prints will be ink plotter ones, so the issue of longevitity is already lost (i think)

>bigger pieces are much harder to sell
>littler pieces don't make much of an impression
obvioulsy

Now about the new Q:
if the walls of the gallery are white
and the the pics dominant color is black (concert & theater shots)
should the matte board be white or balck? (i tend towards white)
and this is teh reason that i should maybe use no border s at all

thanks all, especially emily, kostas

http://www.mailbox.gr ÁðïêôÞóôå äùñåÜí ôï ìïíáäéêü óáò e-mail.
http://www.thesuperweb.gr Website ìå ÁóöáëÝò Controlpanel áðü 6 Euro êáé äþñï ôï domain óáò!