Re: PF Exhibits on Jun 26, 04

At 10:12 AM -0400 6/26/04, ADavidhazy wrote:
The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated 26 JUN 04. Authors
with work now on display at  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html include:

Jeff Spirer - End of the Line

Well, maybe so, but I'm completely unclear as to what, where and why. the guy looks like he's dressed in heavy metal but the woman doesn't look even slightly concerned.

Jim Davis - Inner Mounting Flame

I think it's great, imaginative, appropriate elements composited, interesting how you got there. Nice to see another side of you, too.

Pini Vollach - Sunset

Well, I've thought about this a bunch this week, trying to decide, and here are a couple thoughts. First, wan sunsets are really a bummer to me. There has to be something really significant going on in front of them, like a murder, or kiss or dog leaping after a frisbee or such for them to be worth treasuring. Second, rotating an image is lots of fun. I have a wonderful one of the conservatory at Golden Gate Park in SF. But one can throw things off balance enough to confuse the viewer about what you were trying to get across. In this case you spoke of the dune/sand, and there's a fine pinkish glow along one side of the dune to boot. And the sunset sky is not worth showing, in my opinion. So maybe the thing to do was to turn the image and show the sand, it might have been rather striking with a black background, too.

Laurenz Bobke - Stranded?

ouch. Where are the owners????? Too much data around the edges. Get in closer, down lower, get the deck tack sharp and catch the surf.

Trevor Cunningham - Life of a Daffodil

Well, it would have been nice to not have to hunt for the daffy, and maybe repressing the blown out whites of the water a bit would have been nice too.

Bob Talbot - Harwell

Sorry your Garden day was so drear. Move the photographer to the right and obliterate the boring sky with the flag, get the kid with wagon (?) between the flagpole and the post and come back in 3 weeks when the vine on the post has leafed out.

Dan Mitchell - Still Life

I'm really attracted to the chiaroscuro of the drapes but the tulips drive me away and most of the info in the dining room is excess to me. There's great pleasure in the reeds, too, but again the tulips are way too much the wrong color. And I wish the drape on the right hadn't been cut off, too.

Kostas Papakotas - the kiss

Looks to me like someone showing off a new tooth, kisses don't usually start with tongues being stuck out, nor do they commence with a wide open mouth. Give that kid a visit by the tooth fairy and a pair of pecks on the cheeks without that awful hat bill.

Jim Snarski - Lani

Yeah, too much data behind for a grey tabby, Maine coon or otherwise. Glad you didn't get orange eye with the flash. Every time I've tried that it's been necessary to apply a little specific color correction there. Now if the cat had been white the bg wouldn't have been a problem, maybe it could have been even more outside the depth of field, however. A hair light would have been nice too.....

Howard Leigh - Common frog

Reflections in this situation are pretty neat, especially when they're deliberate and very sharp. You're very fortunate to be able to get anything like that close to any toad, frog or other such amphibian, too.

John Palcewski - Self Portrait

Such earnestness! Furrowing of brows and, ahem, slight overexposure on the top of the head.... How did you avoid having any flare from the flash at all? I realize you turned it around and angled it back, but still, nothing off the edge at all??? And no hood or other such device? It would be interesting to rotate the flash slightly so that it bounced the light down somewhat more behind you. Presumably the mirror would provide fill.

Have fun with your family, Andy, and thanks for doing this. And don't get too close to the fireworks, OK?
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx 508-563-6822