[PhotoHistory] Retro Invention was Muybridge Re-enactment

Rob

Thank you.

I am grateful..for the thoughtful and constructive suggestions that have been made. I will incorporate these,  if there are no objections, into the report of the experiment which will presented at the seminar in November ..

I have in my photographic library both Clerc and the 1890 edition of the Woodbury Encyclopaedia (which appears to be the forerunner of a long series of editions which went on into the thirties) and I use them.

I was asked to look at this at short notice, as a volunteer, by old friend.
Everybody is working voluntarily in their own time (and very little of it) and with no budget.. Given these parameters I am trying to see to see what is feasible. I know that this sounds an impossible task.

One effective way of establishing feasibility is to try something out and then establish why it did not work or, if it did, how or whether, for the purpose, it could be improved. This is what I am doing here.

It is surprising how often a simple practical experiment will resolve opposing theories or even work in the face of established practice or received knowledge.

My method of preparing gravure plates in high ambient temperatures was attacked as impossible despite the protestations from students that they had followed my procedure successfully  over a number of years.

I have, using a similar approach, developed chemically simple  and cheap and reliable methods of making gold prints,  and cyanotypes that will make beautiful continuous tone prints that tone beautifully and is so flexible that it will print from dense 'platinum' negatives and so fast  that I have even make in camera negatives (admittedly with time exposures). I will be demonstrating these at APIS (Alternative Processes International Symposium) 2004, meanwhile examples of the processes and details about APIS 2004, to be held in Scotland in September, can be seen on my web site,

My experiments in relation to Niepce's asphaltum prints and how long they took to expose, also produced some very interesting results. Dusan Stulik from the Getty Conservation Institute will be making a presentation on the subject at APIS. Other institutions of international significance will also be playing a part in the Seminar.

I must repeat that I am neither trying to emulate Muybridge  nor produce technically perfect prints . Using the drop shutter in front of the lens  with a slot  of 1/4 will be our first run. Any distortions will be so much to the good.

If simple amendments  to slot size and aperture are not feasible, we will go for an electronic approach.

Terry