Re: Shutters :focal plane and gravity

In a message dated 26/06/2004 09:34:28 GMT Standard Time, nimbo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
With gravity operated shutter the two blinds are accelerating so the effect of
the gap is non linear.  For an given increment of time the space has to
increase by more than for a constant speed shutter blind.

I'll sit down and try to calculate it if you wish.

 I would be very grateful if you could.

The background is that we are setting up a re-enactment of the Muybridge trotting horse experiment using 12 or more 10x8 cameras. The retro-invention and consultation elements form an important part of the exercise. What we have been doing is to simplify the thing as we go along.. Clearly we could use electronic means, or set up systems of levers and stops to actuate the shutters on the lenses but as the shutters and lenses would not be the same, it seemed simpler to use a shutter which would be independent of the camera and the lens.This could be done by placing a gravity actuated guillotine shutter in front of the lenses which would be set on 'time'.

Taking the analogy of a focal plane shutter and an initial  speed of fall of 32 ft per second, we took , as a starting point,that a speed of 1/100th of a second could be obtained by using a slot in the guillotine shutter of 1/100  of 32' feet.

Marty Magid pointed out that as the shutter starts from rest the average rate of fall is going to be a lot slower (so the slot would need to be narrower).

I held a 12" ruler at '0', let it go and measured the distance it fell before I could grab it again. This varied between five inches and nine inches. I then started and stopped my stop watch to find that the comparable time for the double reaction was 0.2 of a second this giving me a rate of fall and distance comparable to those Mike Ware quotes.

Taking these figures into account, I readjusted the slot  in the shutter to 1/4 of an inch. This takes account of other factors, for example that the rate of fall is non linear ( we have to take acceleration into account). The width of slot in the first working mock up can be varied with gaffer tape, the stop on the lens can also be changed. and the film, itself, will have some latitude. We would use wet collodion if we could find 12 or more wet collodion cameras to use for the experiment).

Mike suggests that the  varying the width of the slot will not change the 'speed' of the shutter. We need  to 'test' this against the analogy of the focal plane shutter; we can see what actually is the case with the first practical experiment with the first working mock up.

If anyone wants to take part either in the trials or in the re-enactment, just let me know.

Terry

Terry King FRPS

RPS Historical Group (Chairman)

www.hands-on-pictures.com/