Re: Gallery of 2004-06-05 Copyright issues

Chris <nimbo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I though you just had to put © just before your name to make a work
> copyright?  No registration necessary.

Under US law since 1978, works are automatically (or perhaps
"inherently") copyrighted when first fixed in tangible form.  Notice
is not necessary (and you can no longer lose your copyright through
missing or defective notice).

However, there are still advantages to registering; it's a
prerequisite to claiming (all or some kinds of?) damages, for example.
I'm not so clear on the status of giving notice, but I see that
magazines and books still contain copyright notices.  At a minimum, it
makes it easier for people to track down the rights holder later;
there are probably other benefits as well.  The copyright office has a
pretty good web site at www.copyright.gov; to go a lot beyond that
you'll need a lawyer with special expertise in intellectual property
law.