Re: Gallery of 2004-06-05 (copyright)

This all makes sense. You could only renew the copyright once under the law (The law makes no reference that I know of extending at the end of the second term). So in 1978 when the new law took over anything copyrighted in 1923 and renewed (28 + 28 = 56 years.
1923 + 56 years  = 1978) was still copyrighted and eligible for protection under the new law.
The copyright of anything published before 1923 had expired and thus would not come under the new copyright law and is in the pubic domain.