From: owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of David
Dyer-Bennet
Sent: 02 June 2004 17:49
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: Re: AOL Answers Embedded Image Question

Chris <nimbo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Yes if you browse an effected web site,  your browser can download a
cookie,
> unknown to you that can do all kind of things, including intercepting you
> key strokes sending card numbers to a person, viewing you files, and
reading
> your software wallet.

Minor technical nit -- cookies can't do any of those things.  All a
cookie is is a small chunk of data given you by a web site which you
store, and return every time you visit that web site.  This is used
mostly for session management -- it's the way the site keeps *your*
shopping cart distinct from everybody elses shopping cart, for
example.

It can be used by the web site owner to track exactly what sequence of
pages you viewed on their site, which some people consider an
intrusion on their privacy.  And, when advertisements are served by a
third-party to multiple sites (as doubleclick.net does for example),
doubleclick can then track your session across pages with
advertisements on *all* those sites.  Even *more* people consider this
an intrusion on their privacy, and most browsers now let you turn off
handling of these "third-party" cookies.

Those things given above can be done by *other* means often enough;
I'm just quibbling about the technical definitions (especially since
cookies are basically benign and are very useful to a web developer;
they were invented to solve a serious problem, and if people take
against them, that leaves us trying to go back and solve that serious
problem with inadequate tools).
Pics: <http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/>
<http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>