From: owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of steves
Sent: 01 June 2004 20:43
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: Value of the Original; Guidelines for pricing

As with most art works, it becomes a paradigm or a token for conversation.

Imagine in a large rectangular room, hanging on one wall is the original
photograph . . . an icon of a picture, perhaps an albumen photograph.  On
the other side of the room a copy of that one.

What would the homeowner say to begin, introducing that piece of art?
"That's the original."

Where would the gathering be most congregated?

If you think it's around the original, you would see the value of seeing the
reference for whatever became influenced by that icon of art.  If you think
it's the copy, you might understand where the paradigm has taken our
curiosity.  Either way, the value is in the perception.

Paying for the paradigm is another question.  My assumption is that those
few who can afford the original would want to own the reference.  Those who
cannot afford it, are purely interested in the paradigm.

The question that we learn to answer in 1/125th of a second, more or less,
has to do with the personal importance of what we shall offer as a paradigm,
token for conversation.  The value is what we get from that.

Steve Shapiro, Carmel, CA