RE: What I found out from an AOL Host, WR.

An attachment is added to the end of the file as a mime encoded string.  It
is as much a part of the e-mail as the main text or any "embedded" image.

Outlook or a.n.other mailer just recognises the string that delimits the
text and the embedded files or attachments and treats them accordingly.

You can see this if you use an old e-mail application that does not see
attachments and will just see asci text all the way through.

Some applications will enable you to view source, which reveals their true
nature.

When I first used VMS mail before the web, I had to cut out the attachments
using a text processor (Edit) and pass them through an interpreter such as
UUDECODE to get the jpeg or other file then load this into a viewer for that
type of file.

It has been a recent development that all this was done for you.

Chris.