Gallery Review (Late) for 2004-05-22

After last week's "many a true word spoken in jest" from Guy I almost
didn't comment.
However, two images this week really deserved some comment:
John's and Fletcher's (possibly Trevor's too)
Here's a few comments on some of the images.

Stuff on display at  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html includes

John Warner -
Really great shot: one of those that just works as shown.
Having witnessed scenes/moods like this for myself it's easy to buy
into the atmosphere.
Colours are muted, but then again it really was misty.

I might play with the cropping, that is how much water we include at
the base but every sliver removed creates a different effect.

Dan Mitchell - Washroom
Sombre: tidy image.  No vanity mirror?
Very well composed/executed but sadly a scene that does not grab me.

Trevor Cunningham - Worn Down to Self
Progress: I was there nearly 20-y ago.
Worse for me I gather is Shark bay just down the coast.  When we went
it was just a Bedouin settlement - we just slept in sleeping bags on
the beach.  Now I believe they have opened up some big hotels.  The
main attraction was the remoteness, "call some place paradise, kiss it
goodbye" to quote (misquote) the Eagles.
Oh, the shot is really well taken, beautiful saturation and sky.
As to being an old sign, sure it wasn't the result of a helicopter
gunship having a giggle with a few spare rockets as it flew by?

Fletcher Jernigan -
Joint favourite this week (with John's shot)

Brilliant what digital can do, so much more vibrant/sharp than
anything that can be captured on film :o)
I really like this: it's a natural shot of a weed with no apparent
effect to "over-garden" the background: the flower head really jumps
out at you (in a way only a digital camera could capture?).  The
background is just right for me: enough bokeh to separate it from the
flower but not too much that it's all blur.

The black bit top left: don't mind it really but I would not be
surprised if it upset others.

Oh!!!!, it was taken on film, Oh well, sorry for the heretical
comments above.

 jIMMY Harris - Yellow Flowers
As an assignment it's OK (is that self-imposed or part of a course?).

Forget PS: for my eyes at the taking stage I'd have moved a few cm to
the right and a cm or two down  to put space between the tree top
right and the flowers and I would have ripped out the left hand
flower.

Andrew Davidhazy - Flight deck view
Lucky bastard.
Nice photo (did you have the tip of the tail-fin shadow in the frame -
it needs to be in the frame for me ;o)

As to the officer confiscating your batteries - I bet Bush wishes they
had confiscated a lot more batteries from digital cameras last year.