RE: grain vs. noise

You probably haven't discovered it because, for no reason that I can discern, it's ridiculously well-hidden. The way I get to it is call up the grain filter, then scroll up in the list of filters until "film grain" appears. It has very coarse discrete steps, so it's not particularly useable without putting it on a layer. Why Adobe didn't provide more control is another mystery.