Re: DSLR Write Speed

This just came in today's DDQ email from Tim Grey and his fabulous
service. I hope I'm not infringing by passing this information along. In
the event I might be, I'm sending subscribe info at the bottom of this
post.

Lea

I need another CF card for my Canon 10D.  Thinking about 1-2 Gigs.  What
do the X numbers and the WA mean?  How fast can the 10 D write?  I don't
want to pay for a high speed card if I don't have a high speed camera.

==========

The "X" numbers are, in theory, an indication of the speed of the card.
In reality, they don't tend to be the most accurate way to determine
performance, especially because the actual speed will vary from camera
to camera. 1X is equal to 150KB/second. So, 12X would be about
1.8MB/second, 32X would be about 4.8MB/second, and 40X would be about
6MB/second. Unfortunately, cards labeled as such don't typically achieve
these speeds because the camera creates a bottleneck. In the 10D, for
example, speeds will max out at about 1.4MB/second even with the fastest
cards. That is just under 12X speeds, which means that any card faster
than 12X would likely be a waste. However, because of overhead, the 12X
card doesn't deliver true 12X either, so there is a slight advantage to
buying the fastest cards. However, it is slight. Unless you think you'll
upgrade to a faster camera before the CompactFlash card outlives its
usefulness, I wouldn't waste extra money on the very fastest cards.

WA stands for Write Acceleration, and it is a technology developed and
implemented by Lexar on many of their cards. However, it requires
support from the camera, and Canon doesn't support WA. Therefore, you
won't get any advantage from a WA card in the 10D. Personally, I'd look
for a bargain in the 32X speed range rather than paying for the latest
40X or 52X cards.

Become a DDQ Contributor - Support the DDQ E-mail Service

If you find the information provided in the Digital Darkroom Questions
(DDQ) e-mail service to be of value, you can make a contribution to help
support the effort that is put into the service. The service is provided
by Tim Grey with no compensation except the contributions of supporters.
Details on making a contribution are at the following web page:
www.timgrey.com/ddq/