Re: DSLR Write Speed

At 02:56 PM 5/18/2004, Bob wrote:
Has anyone compared the write speed of a DSLR, in this case the Canon 10D, when writing to Compact Flash, any and or all versions, and a micro drive?

Yes. I have tried regular compact flash (Sandisk, Lexar and no-name), 1 GB IBM microdrive, and Sandisk Ultra II, a high speed card. With shooting, I have not once noticed a difference, even with continuous shooting, which I never do for normal shooting. I have noticed a difference in download speeds when downloading a whole card into the computer, but even then it's not significant.

Canon says that there is no difference with high speed cards. You can save quite a bit of money by avoiding the hype and sticking with cheaper cards. Some people report fragility issues with the microdrive, that might be more of a concern. I don't use the microdrive when I shoot in situations where the camera is likely to get knocked about.

Jeff Spirer
Photos: http://www.spirer.com
One People: http://www.onepeople.com/
Surfaces and Marks: http://www.withoutgrass.com