Re: bad law -- or is it??

lookaround360@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Don,

There ought'a be a law that sez for every new law that gets passed an old law that isn't enforced or is seldom
broken has to be deleted. On the other hand - there used to be a law against spitting on the sidewalk - sounds
extreme but it was to control a TB epidemic.  Today I'm astonished at the frequency of that behavior and there
is a scary increase in TB. Do we need another law?

Well, maybe, but not for spitting. TB is airborne and requires close contact to be transmitted. The law would have to ban sneezing, coughing or breathing. But your idea of replacing older laws instead of just adding them may have merit. Any law scholars here like to weigh in?
Don

AZ

There are all

kinds of laws on the books protecting privacy that would cover

voyeurism. Same as there are for driving while

impaired that would cover the use of cell phones BTW.

What difference does the kind of technology a person
uses to break the law make?

Lawyers and loopholes, I would imagine.  Same as the cell phone and
driving while impaired.  It makes sense to people like us but the legal

profession is paid to find ways around it. I agree that existing laws

should be sufficient but maybe singling out one usage makes it a bigger

issue in people's minds and they will be less likely to do it?  That
may
be a reach.
It seems we have discovered morality all of a sudden and it is being
beaten to death by legislators trying to ride it to election wins.
Just
another swing of the pendulum.
Don

Don Roberts * Bittersweet Productions * Iowa City, Iowa
* *
We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly