Re: bad law -- or is it??

lookaround360@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Don,

I found the bill HB5692 on the legislature web page:

http://www.michiganlegislature.org/mileg.asp?page=getObject&objName=2004-HB-5692

Open the short PDF named "committee analysis"

It's almost humorous.  I understand the concern for protecting people's privacy but the way it reads it seems
overly troubled by underwear and nudity. Is it OK to photograph people in their personal space as long as they
are "decent."  :-)

Some kid gets caught in the girl's locker room with a cell phone cam and every state legislator has to swing
into action passing laws. It's a "It must be true, I read it in the checkout line" mentality. There are all
kinds of laws on the books protecting privacy that would cover voyeurism. Same as there are for driving while
impaired that would cover the use of cell phones BTW.

What difference does the kind of technology a person
uses to break the law make?

Lawyers and loopholes, I would imagine. Same as the cell phone and driving while impaired. It makes sense to people like us but the legal profession is paid to find ways around it. I agree that existing laws should be sufficient but maybe singling out one usage makes it a bigger issue in people's minds and they will be less likely to do it? That may be a reach. It seems we have discovered morality all of a sudden and it is being beaten to death by legislators trying to ride it to election wins. Just another swing of the pendulum.
Don

AZ

Build a Lookaround!
The Lookaround Book, 2nd ed.