Re: red/blue 3-d imagery (light question, not photography)

On Thu, 06 May 2004 18:27:31 -0700
Stephen Ylvisaker <greyfell@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 5/6/04 5:39 PM, "Brian van den Broek" <bvande@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Stephen,
> >
> > Bathing the image in two colours of light will only suffice to make it
> > look ugly.
> >
> > As it turns out, the theory of optics was a lively branch of ancient Greek
> > thought. It likely goes back to at least the generation before Socrates if
> > not all the way to Thales.
> >
> > Best to all,
> >
> > Brian vdB
> >

> Brian,
>
> Thank you for the clear explanation. I found my solution at
> <http://www.photo3-d.com>

That was the other Brian, but I looked at the web page you cite, and I
can't see any hint of how you found your "solution" on it; in fact the
very last text on the page is:

"Like a 3-D movie, you just wear the glasses to see the 3-D effects."

(Incidentally, it's interesting to note the way they - fairly
successfully - manage to make a 2-D impression of looking at a 3-D print.
Actually looks more realistic than the "real" 3-D print; shouldn't it
say "simulated image"?!)

I've never seen a 3-D movie; I get the impression they were very popular
in the US at one stage, but I grew up somewhere else, actually close to
where the man who discovered stereo vision lived. His name was Charles
Wheatstone, and it seems to have been an amazingly late date (early
1800s) for the connection between seeing 3-D and having two eyes to be
realised. Here's a typical useful link:

http://www.usyd.edu.au/su/macleay/01VE/veb1/veb1origins.html

Brian Chandler
Jigsaw puzzles from Japan