Re: Brief gallery comments redux

I hope no one misunderstood my comment re other photographs of Point Lobo. It wasn't meant to be a criticism of WR's image at all. It was just a light hearted reference to the fame of the place for photographers. I have never been there and knew nothing of the restrictions. That is why I asked the questions about other angles. WR answered that point quite satisfactorily. And thanks for your futther clarification. Don

Elgenper wrote:

There is indeed a Minor White image (p 82 in "Mirrors, messages, manifestations") from almost the same angle, even with the same dead branch in the foreground, and I would be surprised if Edward Weston didn´t have some, too. Does that make any other image taken there superfluous? Of course not! (I could not resist it myself when visiting, although I almost saw Minor´s tripod holes in the ground..). The strict rules of the place, while probably necessary, are incredibly frustrating when trying to photograph there. Only the "Weston Beach" area gives some measure of positional freedom.

W R Gill´s image uses colour to an advantage, while the others were B/W. Those incredible nuances in the sea are lost in B/W, and so is much of the rock detail. The composition is quite interesting here, with the horizon as a radius in the loop of branches to the left, and the distant shore as a counterpoint, also the way those two lower branches dovetail with the outcrops of the rock. I actually prefer it to Minor´s centered composition with the lines of the branch and the rock mixed up.

IMHO, this one is the best contribution we´ve had so far from WR Gill. Congratulations on solving a very difficult photographic problem in such an innovative and pleasing way!

Per Öfverbeck
http://foto.ofverbeck.se