Brief comments redux

I sent this out early this morning commenting on the photos on this weeks gallery at: http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html Since it doesn't appear to have made it to the forum, I will post again. Apologies if this appears twice or even thrice.

As a group, the most variety and quality I have seen for a while. All should be commended. IMO.

Amy West - Lovely shot. My first thought was that I would prefer more conventional cropping or subject placement so the child is not headed out of the frame. After looking at it for a while, I decided I liked it this way. Takes a little of the calendar shot element out of it.

WRGill - Hmm, wasn't there another picture or two made around there? Anyway, good scene with great color for me. Makes me want to be there. Photo wise I would like to see the top cropped to tighten the focus on the rocks. Were there other angles available to you? Did you shoot others? Hard to imagine being there without shooting a bunch of photos.

Scot Coveyou - Effective graphic treatment. Teeters on the edge of saturation overkill but doesn't go over. At least for me. The slant to the left does bother me. This kind of pattern shot needs to be precise, I think. Since you were doing extensive Photoshopping anyway (I know, Adobe says never use Photoshop as a verb) cloning another purple flower or two on the left would have helped for me.

Robert G. Earnest - I like this shot. Exudes mystery and drama for me. One could envision a number of scenarios for this scene. Most involve beer.

Jim Davis - I was thunderstruck. A Jim Davis scene without a bird. I'll bet there is one in a tree or a bush. Find Waldo with birds? But nice simple scene that is universal. It could be anywhere and it puts me in a tranquil mood.

Elisha Page - Could be best in show for me. Puzzling in the thumbnail, it's beautiful larger. The steam could stand a little more emphasis but that may be nitpicking.

Kostas Papakotas - A very good example of the kind of shot I have always liked. Finding abstract photos in objects is like a treasure hunt. If it were my photo, I would have cropped a little more on the right. It starts to get a little weak there. And I might have upped the saturation a bit. Not much. Very nice as is.

Pini Vollach - Daliesque, indeed. Nice interpretation of art in its setting. Not an easy thing to do in my experience. My only change might have been to slice a little out of the plain space between shadow and stature to put them in closer proximity. Just my thought.

Jeff Spirer - Intriguing. But I keep wanting to see more in the light spot on the left. To me, if just feels like there should be something there. Lighting and texture are grand.

Trevor Cunningham - Opulent prison! Very nice presentation of the way I think the place would feel to be in. Space and light are nicely captured. It looks like another spot with a wealth of photo possibilities.

That's all, folks! Got to run and do some photos with the new D70. I hope to submit some soon.
As I said above, excellent gallery this week. Let's keep those photos rolling in.

Don Roberts

  Don Roberts * Bittersweet Productions * Iowa City, IA
 And the Devil whispered behind the leaves, "It's pretty,
 but is it Art?".   --  Rudyard Kipling