Galleric Impressionations 22 April 04

My impressions of the PF gallery located as always and forever at
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html.

jIMMY Harris (Astors) - The overall lack of illumination gives me a sad feeling. I want to somehow bring some light to these flowers. They do form a nice 'S' pattern but the fact that the light that does fall on the flowers, falls on the top and bottom blossoms causes a discontinuity for me. My attention is split between the top and bottom of the image with the middle left out which ruins the nice arrangement of blossoms.

Jeff Spirer (Man and Billboard) - This reminds me of that movie (I think Woody Allen) where the actors come out of the screen in a movie theatre and begin interacting with real people except this guy looks like he's planning on doing it in reverse. One quick look to make sure nobody's watching and then in he goes. His expression is perfect and judging by the location of his head with respect to the woman in the billboard, his goals do not seem too gentlemanly. You can dress up a man but that doesn't change what he is.

Kostas Papakotas (the Big Patoza) - Ahhhh.....rust. Yummy but from this distance its just 'rust color'. You need to get the sweet, sweet texture too. Well I suppose that's my personal bias but I like to get right in there. Love the subject though and that pale blue paint is a lovely contrast to the rust.

Greg Fraser (Omega) - Just a little Escheresque rambling. Here's the original image
http://users.imag.net/~lon2251/temp/omega.html

C J R Strevens (A Street in Vauxhall) - Nice composition. The filter style reminds me of the style fashion designers use.

Jim Davis (Bird Watching) - OH THE HUMANITY! The pain on the man's face is exquisite! This is a perfect metaphor for the Saturday morning trip to the mall for a new pair of women's shoes. "Oh," she says, "these shoes are nothing like the third to last pair we saw. The little bows point in the other direction. Oh, this changes everything." Meanwhile her husband begins to empathize with letter carriers that go on shooting sprees until finally in his anguish he looks at his watch, realizes its already 2 minutes past 10:00 and he yells out "When does that damn Slippery Weasel bar open!"

Rubin Diehl F. (Swing) - Meanwhile, over at the Slippery Weasel... Sorry Rubin but I got on a roll there. The cross developing is what I really like about this. The color and texture of her skin gives her a cadaver like quality and makes the background glow. Cool. I also like the double concave shape of the tree behind her. Somehow it adds to the overall effect for me.

John Warner (Fowey, March morning) - The saturated colors give me the feeling that everything is made of plastic. But I do like the trees are sprinkled along the horizon and the houses are sprinkled along the shore and the buoys are sprinkled in the water but the boats are too strong and perhaps too evenly spaced. Nothing you could do about that but I think if they weren't more red than red itself, they wouldn't draw my attention so much and the whole scene would be more serene.

Thank you to all contributors and to the PF staff.

All my love,

Greg Fraser
Shiner of Newts
"Things are never what they seem" - Vlad
http://users.imag.net/~lon2251/Gallery