RE: B&W scanner calibration

	>It seems to me that tonal adjustments in a b&w digital workflow are a matter of brightness and >contrast and these can be adjusted quickly and easily by eye whereas color balance is a much >more complex process. If I increase the brightness of the image anywhere in the workflow >(scanning, editing or printing), the final print is going to be lighter. Is there any real benefit to >profiling a scanner for b&w work?

	>Greg

I think it would be profitable to linearize your scanner using a 10 step grayscale target. Setting the white swatch to 255, the #5 swatch to 127 and the black swatch to 0, and then saving the settings. You would be sure that you were capturing all the information in your images. Of course you could change it later in photoshop but you would be starting with all the information.

John Warner
warner.ragsdale@xxxxxxx