Re: Links to Pulitzer Prizes in Photography...

Paresh provided direct links to the Pulitzer Prize
winners in feature photography and breaking news
photography.  Thanks.

For some reason the URLs weren't showing up in my
browser's address box.

<http://www.pulitzer.org/year/2004/feature-photography/works>

>Breaking News Photography

>David Leeson and Cheryl Diaz Meyer [Staff
>Photographers, The Dallas Morning News]:

<http://www.pulitzer.org/year/2004/breaking-news-photography/works>

For me, this is what photography does best.  Other
visual artists--sculptors, painters, etc.--can provide
us with wonderful nudes, portraits, landscapes, still
lifes (lives?), street scenes, charming vistas, cats,
babies, and so on.  We don't really need photography
to do these things.  It's good that photography does
them, but we could do without.

We can't, however, do without photojournalism (whether
still, video, or film--still being king) and
documentary photography.  There's no substitute, 19th
century newpaper etchings and 21st century courtroom
sketch artists not withstanding.

I don't mean to suggest that these are the only forms
of photography for which there is no adequate
substitute.  Astrophotography and scientific
photography in general come immediately to mind.  As
does the family snapshot (as opposed to formal
portrait).

--John

=====
J. Mason