RE: Photographic Criticism

I like this Bob.  I'm going to give this assignment to my class and have them write their results in Word on a floppy then I can post them.  WR, I think your image will be safe this week.  ;)

Oh goody, somethin' to do!

wildimages@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>I would mention a very readable and informative book
>in this very field: "Criticizing Photographs" by
>Terry Barrett,
I think Alan Zinn may have recommended this book to us on more than one
occasion ;o) One day I'll visit a library and see if I can browse it: new
it costs just too much!!!

>I found this book has helped me to deliver that aspect of
>the course much more effectively.
1) From an educational standpoint (based on what you have learned from the
book) I'm interested in how you would expect your students to review the
12 disparate images in our own PF gallery?
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

2) How long would it take?
(could they satisfactorily cover all 12 in an hour?)
Is it even possible without understanding *why* the author has placed the
picture there?

3) Is there any "one size fits all" method of looking at / reviewing images?
To me there's a gulf between the "supportive" (find something positive
no matter what) stance of a teacher with a class of beginners and an art
critic working for a national daily ;o)

Bob

"The optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds.
 The pessimist fears it's true"  - J Robert Oppenheimer

http://www.geocities.com/tr_cunningham

Do you Yahoo!?