Review of Gallery for 2004-04-03

Is this the best PF members can do?
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html
You decide!

<IMO>

Jeff Spirer
Nice photo.
Nit picking little detail though: that little distraction coming into
the picture 1/3 way up right hand edge.
Still a nice picture though: suspect it's much better than it would
have been without the subject blur.
Apart from that little distraction it really has a lot to hold the old
interest.  Certainly my favourite of the week.

Trevor Cunningham
Does an image have a focal length?  Thought that was the property of a
lens?
Anyway: it's the oldest question in the book.  The reflection of the
minaret is further from you than the minaret is.  Probably

It's an entertaining photo nevertheless.

WRGill
Strip Mall?  Looks like a pier to me.
Nice photo whoever you are WR.
Good use of foreground and background  Mid ground is empty but I don't
mind that much.

Jimmy Harris
Lighting not too hot: looks a bit flat.
Graphically well composed but how much more powerful if the little
girl had been riding towards the camera in the same position.
As it is I'm left to ponder what that fluorescent green thing is on
the woman's bum....

Chris Strevens
"This hill is close to London and close to where I live and we travel
to this beauty spot to sit in the car, walk on the hill and have tea
and cakes. My 91 year old mum loves to go and watch the clouds drift
by and the wind rustle the trees. We both have pneumonia at present
but hopefully we will both recover. "
OK -  now I know why you like the picture.

Maris V. Lidaka, Sr
Who was it showed a Ferris wheel a few months back - Greg?  Not the
same one is it?
Dunno what to make of it.  Very regular pattern.  Is it a straight
reflection ? <G>.
There's lots of patterns but nothing else.  It's fine, just not
grabbing me.

Per Ofverbeck
Nicely composed and taken.

Bet there are lots of photos of this in Danish camera clubs: bit like
the British Museum here.
If it were mine I would clone some floorboards over the grey triangle
bottom right: it seems to break the intended patterns.
Not having seen this library before it makes interesting viewing: a
tribute to modern architecture.  Pity about that ruddy sign: bet the
architect didn't plan that to be there.

Dan Mitchell
A clean graphic picture: pretty well presented.  It needed to be taken
from 300mm to the left to give just a tiny sliver of wood between the
window frame and the shrub.  Maybe it was taken straight on to keep
the verticals vertical and parallels parallel: with PS it's easy to
"correct" that later anyway.

Achal Pashine
Weird effects.
Fails for me because you didn't have her attention: her strong gaze is
for someone else (the press pack?)
There is an almost imperceptible flash-ghost in the background - once
noticed I don't like it.
The white line on the right: maybe it's a false vertical but I still
want it to be vertical if it's in the frame.
This could so nearly have been a great portrait but for those few tiny
details.

Pini Vollach
Lacks the depth of field it needs: I suspect a wide angle lens (24mm
?) at maximum aperture.  The building in the background is well
positioned but lacks sharpness.  The lens appears (to me anyhap) to
have some barrel distortion: another odd feature is the apparent
*diverging verticals* as if the film plane was tilted down slightly.
I'll forgive the small amount of apparent tilt: with those converging
verticals it's difficult to tell exactly what should be up.  I get the
feeling this was composed to have the right hand column as a false
upright.

What it needs is a couple sat on the seat - as that is where it is in
best focus.

Jim Davis
Nice bird portrait - it is. Good highlight in eye.  Beak looks sharp.
Background nicely bokehn
Beyond that though I have to agree with your  "Not much more to say,
really"

Peeter Vissak
Can't see a highlight in the snake's eye I'm afraid. <G>
This is a very interesting shot/story as opposed to a great photo.
It's a perfectly good photo: it's not a work of art that's all.
I certainly like it: it's sharp and well lit ... love the detail of
all the side-lit  mud on the wheel

</IMO>