RE: PF Exhibits on 04-03-04 review

The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated 03 APR. 04.
Authors
with work now on display at  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html
include:

              Per Ofverbeck - Copenhagen Library

Quite a nice "oblique" shot.  Not really a record photo, more to show the
unusual mechanics of this library and showing a little symmetrical pattern.
Nicely seen.

              Dan Mitchell - Denver Reading Room

Life was different 100 years ago.  Only a few people could read and the
Church ruled the roost.  In this age, it was an enlightened group who saw
the benefits of universal literacy and these reading rooms were made
available in the libraries to allow the poor to have access to reading
material.  Before only the Bible was sought, but now all the books that they
could get were read.  It was feared by the clergy as it meant that ordinary
folk could read the Bible themselves and have their own ideas.  However many
benefited with books on trades and the sciences.

              Achal Pashine - Fashion show Model

Yes, another tepy elrig. (pretty girl).  She looks professional in her pose
and knows how to show her best looks.  Not all Indian ladies look like that,
but quite a lot do.... mmm ... "selective breeding".  The rich just call it
"breeding" --- urgh!

              Pini Vollach - Gazebo

Nice formal garden.  Beautiful proportions, we have them all over England,
quite a lot are open to the public.... You can tire of them....

              Jim Davis - Mating Flush

Yes - its spring again and there all at it!  Sort of central in the frame
and a birds head portrait.  We try to make these images as human-like as
possible so we understand them in human terms.....  But it a bird.  Lives a
different life sees differently, hears differently and has some senses we
don't have. So making it "human" is just for us.

              Peeter Vissak - Annection

I don't know what "Annection" is, but those snakes look nasty.  I think that
grass snakes cant hurt but vipers can.  I trod on one once and needed
hospital treatment.

              Jeff Spirer - Illusion

Certainly a strange effect.  But it shows another life and the conditions of
those children.  A photo cannot show all of the life only a series can but
that could form part of a series showing the life there.

              Trevor Cunningham - Minarets and Mirrors ala Aschal

Something to do with the reflection of an object being as far behind the
mirror as the object is in front.  It is as if you were looking directly at
the minarettes, with the mirror like a window.  If you look at an elementary
school book on optics you can see a ray tracing of what is happening.
Useful for a photographer.  Nice shot.

              WRGill - Strip Mall, 03.31.04

Not altogether sure what is meant.  I thought at first it was a steel works
then I thought it was a place where people went to strip shows, but now I
think it is a linear shopping centre.  Over here they are just "Shopping
Malls" with enclosed streets of shops.  Ideal for our climate most of the
year.  They seem to be building them everywhere with car parks, also
enclosed.  This one looks like it connected to a pier at sea, something we
link to entertainment as well as defunct landing place for small pleasure
steamers and small cross-channel packets.

              jIMMY Harris - Barrels

Looks like horse training.  Nice rural scene.

              Christopher Strevens - New life

I had the telephoto attachment and could not get any closer.  I did not
stoop to change the lens - sorry.  But close-up might have been too close
and normal would have been a wider field.

              Maris V. Lidaka, Sr. - Ferris Wheel at Navy Pier

Nice abstract pattern - like it.  Might have been better in monochrome as
the mind would only have the pattern to sort out.

Chris
http://www.chrisspages.co.uk