how does flash balancing really works?

well here is what i have been trying to figure out.

how does flash balancing really works?

I mean it is one thing to make and apply the calqulations and another to understand how the two light sources (flah and ambient light) combine.

here is an hypothesis...

let's suppose we have a face that its left side is in deep shadow, and the right one is in window light.
the flash unit is set to correct flash balancing (no shadow left) settings.
camera is set at f/8 and 1/10sec since this is the reading for taking the pic without flash.
flash fires, shutter works for a far shorter time than the 1/10 sec.

what is recorded on film is:
left face side: all the flash light amount
right face side: all the flash light amount + what window light passed through the lens at the far shorter time -than the expected 1/10sec- the exposure lasted.
window light amount is by far less than the flash one, so right face side was not recorded that much brighter than the left.

if we were to use 1/4 of the flash power for the same photo setting, the left/right luminance ratio will move into favoring the right side, so the left face side will appear darker (shaded)

but all these suppose that the camera records as much light units (candles?)(coming both from window and flash)as needed for the scene, regardless of the time it got to record it.

is all these correcy?

thanx beforehand, kostas

http://www.mailbox.gr ÁðïêôÞóôå äùñåÜí ôï ìïíáäéêü óáò e-mail.
http://www.thesuperweb.gr Website ìå ÁóöáëÝò Controlpanel áðü 6 Euro êáé äþñï ôï domain óáò!