RE.What's this?

The 4 X 5 Graphic was used in WW2 by the service and news men as a combat camera. It was the standard news camera in the 30s and was still used by some men into the 50s. It was also the main camera for many pros in the fields of portraiture , commercial, weddings, macro, and telephoto work by sports photographers.

I have owned a Graphic since the 1938 Anniversary model up to the last 1000 model that I still use. As a young photographer a Graphic was my only camera and it was used for all the different kinds of work I did. Today it is one of my field cameras with a selection of four focal lengths.

What other hand held camera enjoyed such universal use by so many? There were four means of focus, scale, rangefinder, ground glass and a beam of light using the rangefinder for night shooting.
Film in sheets, packs, and roll backs.
A back focal plane shutter
A Compur type front shutter
Both synchronize for flash
Three means of viewing, ground glass, parallax corrected viewfinder, and a wire frame for action work.
A drop bed for wide angle work
Extra long bellows for close ups or long lenses
Tilt, swing, rise, and side movements, although limited better than none.
Removable lens boards to accommodate different focal length lenses.

As for capturing the exact moment it is still the mind that tells the finger to activate the shutter.
That was done so many times holding a heavy camera with an early electronic flash unit weighing up to seventeen pounds, a pocket full of holders, and a flash gun on the side of the camera weighing several pounds. Much different from the light digital cameras used by the news people today, progress does have benefits.

Because of its many features the Graphic was used as a hand camera, a field camera, and a studio camera.
A four diameter enlargement and you have a 16 X 20 with great quality.
No neck strap, just a leather strap to hold onto for the many hours of shooting.
No automation, just a wonderful simple tool.

Phil Wayner