Opinions on PF exhibits on March 27, '04

ADavidhazy wrote:
> The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated 27 Mar. 04.
> Authors with work now on display at
> http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html  include:
>
>               John Mason - Staging Lane, Eastside Raceway, 21 March

I like the composition and the point of view - the highlights look blown
out, though.

>               2004 Don Roberts - Sure and Certain Hope

Interesting, but not arresting.  The iron cross in front somehow seems to be
in the wrong position - I would have tried a different view - maybe higher,
maybe lower, maybe to the left or to the right.  I don't have the answer.

>               Dan Mitchell - Lynn Ferry

Hard to say what the subject of the picture is.  The people seem cluttered,
and clutter the picture.  The boat should be more prominent IMHO - perhaps a
different angle, so that the boat is larger, and include only part of the
ramp?

>               Peeter Vissak - 6 o'clock drink

Good, but not great.  I think I would have cropped out the trees/bushes on
the left and the right, and though it was dusk perhaps burned the
'shepherd's' face to bring out some more features.

                 Pini Vollach - Farm

Interesting and unusual, and I very much like the various colors of the saw
blade, the violet roof on the left juxtaposed with the yellow building with
green roof.  With the saw blade so close, greater depth of field is
difficult, but perhaps with a short telephoto standing further away from the
saw blade?  I would have liked to have the farm buildings more in focus.

>               WRGill -

Wonderful colors, wonderful composition, wonderful photo.  If composited in
PS it would perhaps not be discernible as a composite rather than an
original, but I would not represent it to be an original.

>               Christopher Strevens - Street

Nice, but the streaking effect doesn't work for me for this scene.

>               Jim Davis - Backlight on White Bird

Excellent job, and I like the composition, with the bird being on the right.
It's true, of course, that white does not always look white.  A fascinating
article exploring light and color is "Why is Color" by Bruce Fraser:  I
recommend it to all photographers.

http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/13036.html

                  Bob Talbot - Flamingo

Marvellous!  I love the point of view, and the colors.  Where was it taken
from - underneath the flamingo?

>               Andrew Davidhazy -

Excellently done - she is a beautiful woman, and I like the way the sun
shines through the edges of her long hair (see "Why is Color" above).
Excellent composition, and excellent tonal range.

Just my thoughts.

Maris

---