Re: can there be art photography ...

----- Original Message -----
From: <kpp@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students"
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2004 1:02 AM
Subject: can there be art photography ...

 can there be art photography without consumer photography?

> what do you think?
Definitely - there is art photography.   Belonging to an art association has
opened my eyes and disturbed me on one level, but has energized me on
another.

The organization I belong to calls itself "Allied Arts,"  because it is
supposed to embrace all the arts - music, acting, poetry, painting, drawing,
dancing, etc., etc.

Yet, there are a few of the older members (age-wise and membership-wise) who
are wailing that photography is not an art, and they are quite upset by my
being there.

I am there to encourage myself to work on photographs that please me not a
consumer (customer, boss, client, the public).   To me, these photographs
are art.   They come from my heart like a song comes from a singer or a
painting by a painter or a poem by a poet and consumers or critiques can
lose sleep over these photographs if they want to.

Since I quit worrying about consumers, I have been invited to show my work
in several galleries.   Fortunately, gallery owners don't seem to be quite
as prejudicial as "artists".

Marilyn