RE: point and shoot question

Here's some more basic questions. Do you mean fixed aperture or does focal length have anything to do with exposure? Are p&s cameras usually fitted with a 28mm lens?

> how does the camera adjust for shooting outside in bright light then inside in
> dim conditions? I'm guessing that the shutter speed must vary. Is this
> correct?

I have a Canon p&s that when it worked would not let you shoot in dimly lit conditions unless you had the flash turned on. I had a Konica for a week that I believe varied the shutter speed. My daughter's rubber 110 Barbie-cam makes no adjustments whatsoever. It consistently  gives you crap no matter what.

I think most p&s are set to barely handle really bright sunlight and rely upon firing their flash when necessary.

Greg