Gallery Review, March 20, 2004

Jim Davis, Caught Napping. This metaphorical image reminds me of how I felt when I first came to Italy...maintaining a precarious balance on one leg in a culture that was just a bit beyond my grasp, especially the language. But then there are sparrows--and ducks--that look like home.

Alberto Tirado, The flag of the poor. Here's a case where a caption expresses far more emotion than the image it purports to describe. As an abstraction the "flag" might well be a depiction of the moral bankruptcy of the rich, or of the politicians who see lying as just another tool.

Greg Fraser, From A Bridge. Nice to see Marilyn's request so effectively honored. The passing animal's presence lingers...nice shot.

Don Roberts, Fading Glory. Sadness, bleakness, melancholy. I think the image speaks for itself quite well and in this case doesn't really need a caption.

Bob Talbot, Stony Cove. This is both touching and funny at the same time. Two things spring to mind, one of them being the famous visual metaphor of the American TV show "The Sopranos," in which the Mafia gangster sees ducks fly away from his suburban home's swimming pool, which event sends him to a psychiatrist because to him it means the disintegration of his "family." The other is a documentary that offers a simple proof there is no Loch Ness monster: In that body of water there are virtually no fish or anything else for an alleged monster to eat.

jIMMY Harris, Poles. I've never liked ethnic humor. But the image is nice.

C J R Strevens, Silver Sea. I don't know what a Bryce generated image is. If it's digital and not manipulated, well, that adds to the puzzle.

Jeff Spirer, Kerchief. Ah-CHOO!

Achal Pashine, Building in Denver, CO. The tilt emphasizes the giddy altitude and the great mass of granite or whatever the building is made of. If you're afraid of heights, this will give you pause. But the whole effect is spoiled for me by the copyright notice. Seems unnecessary and intrusive.

John

Forio d' Ischia, Italia
http://www.livejournal.com/users/forioscribe