Re: Looking through old magazines

Marilyn,

Okay, I'm going to bite on your provocative statement by Vestal.

I disagree.

I submit that, for the most part,  what an artist considers her artistic
best is simply trash. The artist tried to develop a distinctive "style," but
the result is usually only distinctive garbage.

It is a cop-out for an "artist" to blame the viewer for his own failings.

Many "artists" live, create and die in almost total obscurity because their
"art" is bad. The obscurity is not because the artist and the art is not
understood, it is because there is really nothing there to begin with.

Of course you can point to some successes, such as Monet, Picasso, etc. who
were truly innovative and very good at their craft. If you read about these
folks and look at their art in a book, you get the idea that the great
unwashed masses just didn't get it, but somehow "art" prevailed.

Actually, I doubt it. As a card-carrying member of the bourgeoisie, when I
saw an original Picasso for the first time, I was astounded. Pictures in
books do not do credit to the art. The art is alive. There was something
there beyond mere paint on canvas. I could see it. Others could see it. MANY
others could see it.

It is not we, the vulgar citizenry, who cannot appreciate art. It is the
people who try to tell us what is art and what is not that cannot tell what
is art from what is just different. Too much "art" is who you know and not
what the art is actually all about.

Vestal's statement, however, is food for thought.

Now, if you want to provide several examples of what Vestal was talking
about, I am ready to have my mind changed.

peace

rand