Re: Photographing strip malls

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Mason" <cameratraveler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students"
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 2:30 PM
Subject: Re: Photographing strip malls

Hi Rich,

Can't what you have said about strip malls be said for almost any structure?
How does anyone get to the upper-class malls, but in a polluting vehicle?

Don't the swarms of materialistic, convenience-seeking consumers seek
materialistic relief at the high-end stores, also?   (Have you ever seen the
cars that cruise Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills.  Even a Rolls Royce
pollutes.)   Even the most beautiful building strips the land of flora and
fuana.

I understand your frustration, though, Rich.   I write letters to the editor
in defense of defensless plants and animals that are disappearing from our
planet and volunteer for environmental-type organizations and agencies and I
feel like I take three steps back for every one forward.

I'm afraid money rules and that's not going to change.   Look at it this
way, a large portion of the money I will earn photographing the strip malls
will be going toward protecting plants and animals since that is where a
good part of my earnings always go.

And Rich - don't be so shy about telling us how you feel next time {:->

Marilyn

They are a cheap way for developers to construct stores for the endless
consumerism and convenience of materialistic people.

> These constructions strip the landscape of beauty and charm.
> They are a strip of stores which are basically accessible only by
polluting vehicles.
> They are intended to strip consumers of their money.
> A strip of land is denuded so stores and parking lots might be built.
> Generally they are poorly constructed, yet flexible, so that when a
> failing business is stripped of its lease, it can easily be replaced by
the next-in-line for failure business.  The new business can quickly move in
once the name of the past business has been stripped from the
> sign.   Aging strip malls are often home to businesses advertising "Any
Check