Re: Perception, Physics & Photography

Shawna Hanel <shawna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote/replied to:

>I whole-heartedly agree that for a majority people Jim's shot is
>spectacular.  I'm a film shooter because of circumstance, not choice and
>when I saw the shot my first thought was, "Gee, I'd love to have taken
>that, but I would have used tungsten film to pull out the (in my
>perception) excess yellow."  Maybe I'm hypersensitive because as a
>printer I was always pulling out that yellow.  I don't know.  I was just
>sharing my thoughts.

Ah, but you see, this is 'art', and not a scientific representation of
a species. I think I've been there, where everything has to be
'balanced'. Hell, I used to shoot daylight Reala in tungsten and
balance it out in the enlarger :-)

This photo oozes a monochromatic look that's almost like paint sloshed
onto it. That's the whole point, the look I'm after. You should push
the limits more - get away from the ;realistic' look with mid grays in
it. Nature never ceases to amaze me with it's variations of light.

I've taken photos of the same birds days in a row and each day,
slightly different cloudiness, slightly different times, each day I
get way different white balances. At first I struggled to balance each
to a more or less neutral state. After all, an Egret is white I
thought... then after many days of slightly tweaking all my shots, I
realized that I must go back and recreate many shots to have a more
natural look. I do that much less now.

>Another observation on perception and photographers - in my experience,
>in most cases if I printed what I thought was the desired perception
>rather than "raw" or "straight" our clients were more pleased with the
>results.  This was often true even of the shooters who'd get really up
>set if they thought I "messed" with their images.

If a client wants his product properly lighted, that's one thing.
Pretending you made a shot in mid day, when you actually got up early
to catch the 'golden hour' is another.

--
Jim Davis
Nature Photography