Re: Sunset Shooting with Tungsten

<<<
Jim's shot looks great the way it is.  But if you had something to compare
it to, say an image that more accurately reflects the world the mind creates,

Shawn

I know what you are saying: it's the difference between perception and physics.
 We see colour: instruments including cameras can ony record wavelengths
(colour is NOT a physical quantity).  Within limits the eye-brain system
seems able to do it's own on-the-fly white balance.

<<<you might decided that the color adjustment (note, that's adjustment
not correction) improves an already strong shot.

My point was that Jim's shot already looks exactly like I would expect the
scent to have looked through the viewfinder.  My untrained eye is quite
happy to see (without on-the-fly correction) the warmth of late afternoon
sun.  Automatic scene-based white balance is doomed to fail when the predominant
tones in an image really were (and were perceived to be :)  ither than neutral.

As someone said: if you have taken a sunset because of the rich red of the
sky do you really want it grey?

Bob