RE: How not to light jewelry (sometimes you get lucky enough)

Hi All,

In my past life I have shot loads of jewelry for both online and
traditional catalogs. My fav way to shoot shiny stuff is NOT to use a
light tent, but to create a small stage in which to show off the piece.
For necklaces I have used both shale and round stones as well as small
amounts of water and or glass to use as elements in the shot. I have
found that the light tents while eliminating all shadows it also lacks
negative highlights as well as anything to interest the viewer. To me
its too sterile.

Sure I often have clients that want the dropped off backgrounds and the
subject surrounded by all white.  But I will show them some of the
premade sets I have for just such situations and they often bite along
with the increase in creative fees. I too use strip of foamcore both
black and white to add -+ highlights to the subject. But I will also use
small flashlights, mirrors, and colored filters or gels to add some pop.
Each of the small sets are easy to build and anyone with diorama
experience will have a blast. I actually used a Barbie type doll once
and but the earrings around her neck. The client thought it was cool but
we did run into legal issues...

Earrings are the item that gave me the most trouble, so I built a small
frame w/ 1" dowel and covered it with felt to hang them from. I hope
this helps.

Les