Re: Framing (was Re: What has happened to this Forum?)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alberto Tirado" <fotodiseno2003@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students"
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2004 12:25 AM
Subject: Framing (was Re: What has happened to this Forum?)

For the very reasons you state,  Alberto, I frame my photographs in simple,
nice looking frames - wood or metal - depending on the photograph, that I
can put on my images myself.    If nothing but a custom frame will do for a
particular image, then I'll break down and have a framer do the work for me.

It takes time and can be very expensive putting a custom frame on each
photograph, and the customer may not like the frame even if you do put the
perfect frame (to you) on your photograph.

I put more thought into the matting of the photograph because, in my mind,
it is an actual extension of the image.

I let a framer I've used for years make my matts, and do the framing when
necessary.   She  is a talented professional and often has great ideas on
what will make the image sing (if it sings to begin with, that is).   I
trust her judgement and it is one less thing for me to worry about and means
less clutter (matting and framing equipment and supplies) for me to contend
with.

I think paying her for her talent is well worth the money and the cost is
passed along to the buyer just like any other expenses I have in producing
the image.

Just my humble opinion.

Marilyn