Re: Canon G5

I´m using the G3 (it has become my favourite camera, preferred to my D60). Time lag IS the main problem, no doubt. For myself, when time is critical, I switch to MF and "scale focus", also pre-setting white balance and (manual) exposure. Now the camera has nothing to do except open the shutter, when I press the button, and it is very fast.

Scale focussing is not a great problem, even wide open, because of the huge depth of field in a small-sensor digicam. I put it to 2 meter or whatever is suitable, and then try to keep that distance.

A M2 with Summicron 35 it isn´t, but it is quite good anyhow. That "First Christmas" shot of the baby looking at candles was shot this way.

Finally, have you read about the Canon Pro 1? Here is a preview:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canonpro1/default.asp

Look at the size comparison between it and the G5; it is really the same size with lens retracted. If I were you´I´d wait and give it a good kook...

Per

Per Öfverbeck http://foto.ofverbeck.se