Re: Is it there yet?

Jeff Spirer wrote:
At 12:56 AM 2/11/2004, wildimages@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

5-y ago if I showed someone a photo that was other than mundane no-one (read
NONE) ever questioned that it was just an honest record. The usual response
would range from "wow, how did you get that" or "mmm, you were lucky" <BIG
G>.

Today the first reaction is universally "how did you *do* that?"

Isn't it possible that this could be progress? That now most people know that photography can deceive, that it's no longer just an inside group aware of the manipulation possibilities?

Possible, yes. Necessarily, no. Would you say the same thing about painting. I'm not suggesting we want to keep "most people" in the dark of deception. I am an advocate of "no secrets" in photography. But the assumption you suggest is that people will assume every image is created in Photoshop.

Peace!
Sidney