Re: PF Exhibits on 01-31-04

At 11:50 PM -0500 1/30/04, ADavidhazy wrote:
The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated 31 Jan. 04. Authors
with work now on display at  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html  include:

Gary Colnar - Regal Theater, Oceanside, CA

Well, isn't that just so Southern California! And the technique is fun too, and more difficult than it looks.

Achal Pashine - Sunrise at Old Marina, Mono Lake

Lots of nice stuff in there, even with Velvia's heavy handed colors. Every morning a different sunrise.

Trevor Cunningham - Wadi Rum, Morning

I guess if you're going to shoot b&w for that sort of shot, you need to identify the time of day when the sunlight will differentiate the rock from the sky and then pray for good clouds. Either that or do a lot of dodging of the rock.

Leslie Spurlock - Faith and Hope

I think the thing to do is to find the best shot, rather than being attracted to a specific person. The translucency of the headscarf is a lovely touch. Perhaps if the bandage on the neck had had some tape on it, or that funny center part with yellowness, the rough edge of the bandage would not be so distracting.

Jim Davis - Success!

Wow. We can all dream.

Per Ofverbeck - Water

A twist of lemon or lime would have been more convincing and then the shot would have been conventional but technically good.

John Mason - UFO, Gambier, Ohio, March 1967

The US military does strange things with our money, doesn't it.

Rubin F. Diehl - Wild Flower

Bromeliads are pretty amazing, those prickly leaves in a whorl and then that long extravagant spike. To live somewhere where they're wild must be pretty amazing too. Using the corroded copper to emphasize the "wildness" of the plant didn't quite work for me. Somehow the image seems set up more than wild.

Emily L. Ferguson - jack came to visit

For John P., the orange glow on the left is my neighbor's back porch light.

Kostas Papakotas - irony

Wow, that other photographer sure is difficult to find in the photograph, so the irony doesn't get through to me. A piece of me just wants to get Athens birth control pills for those dirty pigeons! Is the original photograph sharp?

William Downey - C-47 Ghost I remember you

Cars, Planes. Yeah, yeah. Guy stuff. (I do love trains.) The cyan is kinda neat as a technique for reinforcing the old-ness of the subject, but without the description I'd never understand why the image was so cyan.

Andrew Davidhazy - Figure

Never can figure out what to think of Andy's stuff. Just thankful he lets us have this space on his server and dragoons his students into making our gallery for us every week. What would we do without him!

Thanks, everybody.

More reviews please.
--
Emily L. Ferguson