Re: PF Exhibits on 01-31-04

Leslie, I remember when I started out a long time ago it really upset me when I saw--to my dismay--some flaw or other, like for instance, a tree growing out of someone's head that I didn't see when I was making the image. The best cure for that is to just keep shooting and vowing not to make the same mistakes twice. In time you'll have made them all, and then get pissed again when you make some entirely new ones.

It's good to see that you compose full frame. I think that's important. I knew a guy who worked for AP and he said he never bothered with that stuff because his editors would crop the pictures, just as long as he got the subject somewhere in the frame. To me that's sloppy, uncraftsmanlike.

I think one of the best things about digital is that you get instant feedback, compared to the day or two lag with film processing. Seems to me you'll learn quicker. But then on the other hand I think about all my long hours in the lab...whoa! Do I feel a nostalgia jag coming on?

Anyway, keep shooting. That's the thing.

John
http://www.livejournal.com/users/forioscribe

John-
Thanks for the comment. I hope the bit of cloth doesn't hurt the image too
much. I don't pose any of my subjects, and I photograph them the way they are
and don't disturb them if at all possible. So, I couldn't move the bit of
cloth. I am also a real purist in the sense that I don't do any manipulation...only
available light, no filters, and, almost always, no cropping. Anyway, this is
just an explanation for the distracting elements in the last 2 pics. Since I
am just getting into photojournalism, my real passion, is there anyone in this
forum that sees things from a photojournalism standpoint? If so, are these
elements equally as distracting for someone in this field? I'm wondering because
I have so much still to learn in that field and would appreciate any advice.
I also know that what appeals to someone with a pj/documentary shot is
different from someone who might be interested in a different type of photography.
Now, I am not saying that the shots would work in pj/doc., I am just trying to
find out if they would.

Leslie Spurlock
<A HREF="http://americanphotojournalist.com/member.php?user=lscotthpht";>
American Photojournalist</A>
214-361-5152
888-381-0854

<< Leslie Spurlock, Faith and Hope.  A strong, evocative image that is
 disturbed and somewhat neutralized by that bit of cloth with the threads
 spreading out from it, onto the figure's chin.  The distraction is
 inevitable. >>