Re: page turner

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 11:30:46 -0800
Alan Zinn <azinn@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> At 08:30 AM 1/19/04 -0500, you wrote:
>
> Jannie,
>
> I couldn't get the java thing to work but found exactly what I needed at
> tucows.  Called:  FlipAlbum 5.5 :
> http://www.flipalbum.com/products/fa/  only $19 with
> a free trial version.    It is way cool with animated, 3-D pages.  The
> pictures bend like a real book when the page turns.  I'm just getting it
> figured out and will put a sample on my web page ASAP.  I think a lot of
> PF'rs will want to try it.

Yes, but. To quote from their page:

"Note 1: FlipAlbum can upload your albums to websites for Internet
hosting so that others can view your albums using the free FlipViewer."

If you put your pictures on the web so they are only accessible through
this thing, I guarantee you will lose at least 80% of potential viewers.
To view your "albums" they have to download the "free FlipViewer". But
many people can't or don't want to download an application (which
obviously only runs on the Prince of Darkness's operating system) just
to view your pictures. Apart from anything else, you probably have to
download a whole "album" just to start, so that writes off anyone not on
broadband.

Of course you could put one of these "albums" up in addition to a normal
gallery of images, but why bother? Sounds like a waste of $19 to me.

Brian Chandler
Jigsaw puzzles from Japan
http://imaginatorium.org/shop/
imaginatorium@xxxxxxxxxxxxx