From: owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rev.
Sidney Flack
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2004 12:51 PM
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: Re: Kodak pro film

Emily L. Ferguson wrote:
> You know, all this good-sounding stuff from Kodak is fine and lovely
> until it's not a profit center, and with business you can be sure of
> only one thing - Kodak is no more likely to keep an unprofitable
product
> around than anyone else in business for a profit.
>
> So take all that publicity with a grain of salt, guys.
>
> Mark my words.

You are correct about profits Emily.  And, at Kodak, traditional remains

   profitable and at the heart of what they are about.  It may not be as

profitable as in past years but it is not loosing real money.  But it is

just one part of their diversified company.

People who are now saying Kodak has been slow to get into the digital
market have not been following the company.  They were among the first
to market professional level digital "backs" for both Nikon (and Canon,
I think) bodies.  And they have been producing digital output
consumables right along the way.  They have not been caught sleeping.

Consider who has been talking, economists whose area of expertise is
based in theory at best and has little in reality.  They look at what is

best for "investors" and know little of what people who use the products

are doing.

But, again you are correct that business will follow profits.  That's a
message for all of us.  Invest your funds in what you want to last.
That is always the message business will hear best.

As for traditional materials from Kodak, people are still buying.  And
we have said nothing about those loyal to Agfa, Ilford, Forte, Fuji,
Seagull, Berger and others, none of whom have said anything about
leaving what remains the most expressive medium in photography while
serving those who find good use for digital.  Perhaps it's because
they're not the big guy and don't have to defend their choice to
continue to serve their clients instead of placating those looking to
make a quick buck.

Peace!

Sidney