Review: PF Exhibits on 01-17-04

Gregory david Stemple, Shadow Figure
This, in thumbnail, is marginally interesting but when you go to full size there's a visual imapct that is mildly disturbing. It's the sort of thing that creeps you out if you stare at it too long. Must be an alien from outer space, with a highly stylized weapon in one hand and an olive branch in the other. Metaphorically, a safe or dangerous figure, depending upon your point of view.

Jim Davis, Afterglow
I'm partial to mountains, and especially extinct volcanos, since there's one looming above my villa's back yard. But I'm not quite sure the orange sky works behind the relatively placid dark woods and soaring birds.

Shawna Hanel, Detritus
A yin/yang representation. The Old West, and modern plastic. Or the esthetics of garbage and a symbol of oppression. The latter being another yin/yang thing since fencing off the countryside for the sake of cattle and the prosperity of the settlers also involved the systematic extermination of Native Americans. Plenty to ponder here.

Dan Mitchell, Leaves
This seems a bit flat. Makes me want to reach for Photoshop and tweak the saturation and contrast a bit. Bring some more warmth and color and snap to those leaves.

Rand Flory, Fixin's
It's always about sex, isn't it? Which is to say if you sit for a while trying to figure out what to say about an image that doesn't quickly yield to interpretation, phallic or scrotal symbolism inevitably creeps in. Surely not the author's intent! Or was it? Doesn't matter, really.

Andrew Davidhazy, Endeavour
Speaking of phallic imagery!  Jesus.

Cheers!

John