Re: Digital Flash

rand flory <ferret@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote/replied to:

>You use a studio flash with the E20 pretty much as you would with a film
>camera.
>
>The E10, and presumably the E20, as I recall, had a PC connector to fire the
>flash. Use the manual exposure mode and either a flashmeter or just trial
>and error while watching result of each attempt until you get your exposure
>correct.

Just a caution here. Some flashes have a very high voltage on the
synch line. EOS owners know about this as it can easily fry the inside
of their cameras. I'd be careful if I were you.

To make these flashes safe, you can get a device, I think the Wein
SafeSynch or something like that is the preferred device. Don't fry
your digital camera!

You can check the synch voltage with a simple voltmeter across the
plug inner and outer. Low and safe is like 6 volts or less. If you see
hundreds of volts, do NOT connect it to your camera under any
conditions. Many are this high! Ok, I warned you.

You might want to Google search for your camera and flash, plenty out
there that's already been done and tested.

I checked out a cordless unit for 35 bucks, but it said not safe for
E20.