RE: Business was RE: Question about lighting... long

At 12:53 PM 1/4/04 -0800, you wrote:
AZ Writes:

"Kostas,
   Think of  us photographers as being like the artists who practice
sumi-e brush painting - rare birds who find peace and meditative wisdom
mastering something difficult and beautiful.  The younger, multi-tasking
minded will venerate us.  Like, as
if...!"

Why not compare professional photographers to professional shoe shine men?

You see them often in the airports and sometimes you find one or two
that are really really (REALLY REALLY) good. I have favorites in several
cities around the country and will actually choose what shoes to wear
based on knowledge that I will be in that city with some time to spare
and hope that they will be there, too.

They can shine your shoes like you never could. Not that you can't give
your own shoes a bit of shine, you just can't ever get the same high
quality results yourself.

Perhaps that makes them artists? Certainly they qualify as craftsmen.

The thing is people WILL notice the difference in your shoes if you use
a top flight professional shoe shiner.

If you do it yourself people won't necessarily notice anything wrong
with your shoes and of course that can be good enough.
Just fine. And you saved 5 bucks.

Fact is your your shoes could look like someone with dog poo on the
bottom of their shoes walked all over the top of yours and some people
won't even notice that.
And that might be ok with you, too.

And of course, you would have very little sympathy for some whiney
spit-shiner blaming you for his children needing new shoes as you rush
to catch your flight.

My take on the original post was that the person was looking for that
magic piece of cheap gear that would raise her work to professional
standards. My reply was meant to say that all she really needed was
light and better skills in how to use it.

I could do better portraits than she was doing with a 500 watt light
bulb, a white wall, a roll of waxed paper and some tape. Not just
because I am a pro but because I am a better photographer. I have a
better understanding of light. That is what most "photographers" are lacking.

And of course, I don't count to three and push the button but that is
another topic all together.

Roberto,

Haven't had shoes that could be shined in forty years - used to be very good at spit-shining uniform shoes. Your point being that anyone worth being called a pro should be able to solve most problems that come up in their craft is un-arguable, at least not by me. On the other hand, I've known too many smart beginners who could shoot the pants off most pros creative-wise. Where the intelligent, talented novices in any trade often seem most deficient is professional business practices. They don't know how to get clients, keep them, or extract a fair payment from them. Would you go to a dentist that drives an 82' Honda Civic? :-) I was thinking about this now because I just drove past the law office that did some work for me (in my Honda) and saw that one of the partners was working on a Sunday and his $80K Porsche was in the parking lot. I thought "Boy I sure feel better about what I had to pay them." So, starting-out photographers should drive expensive cars if they want to compete for the best clients successfully.

AZ

Build a Lookaround! The Lookaround Book, 2nd ed. NOW SHIPPING http://www.panoramacamera.us