Re: Question about lighting...

Well, I'm new to the list and got my intro by reading your response to Julie
and I have to say I was more than a bit disappointed.

I"m no doubt commiting political suicide on this list by doing this as my
first post but here goes--I've never managed to be much of a wallflower, so
why start now (wry grin).....

1) as a former AD for a few upscale national retailers, I can see both sides
of this puzzle, and it's not anyone's fault. AD's and others are under
increased pressure to produce work inhouse, and they are fighting for their
jobs no less than anyone else, and with just as much reason and just as much
compunction. No less are those individuals working for smaller firms, that
yes, I suppose have the dollars to allocate to properly done portraits, but
don't want to allocate those dollars for reasons beyond the control of the
marketing/advertising/graphics person.Try to talk a guy who owns a company
selling industrical valves the need for a photographer--it ain't gonna
happen in most instances.

2) every AD and other individual I've talked to has deplored the fact they
are being asked to produce product, staff, and lifestyle photos, but when
your job is at risk, it's difficult to deal with. Am I supposed to put my
job at risk because your photography studio is suffering (and I don't mean
that facetiously)?? Sorry, my but my kids groceries are more important.

3) In every circumstance I possibly could, I pushed having a professional
photographer to do a shoot--unfortunately that backfired in many
instances--many dollars worth of poorly done work--we did the research, but
ended up with poorly done work in numerous instances. Too many very high
strung individuals who couldn't do the deadlines, even given a couple of
months warning. Too many "artistes"--not enough workers. Not enough talent.

4) the former did much to undermine my ability to succour commercial
photographers--more and more I was supposed to do my own photos, which I
NEVER but I did secure stock photos or find photographers thru getty or some
such agency I knew I could trust. Actually, we researched them thru getty or
corbis, and bought shots they hadn't sold as yet

5) Because of all of that, many advertising campaigns that were very
promising went down the tubes.

You are placing the blame on the wrong individual. She is trying to do the
best in the position she's stuck in. Just like you. Just because she isn't a
"professional" photographer doesn't give you the right to harangue or blame
her for the losses you've suffered, which we can all sympathize with. But
don't forget that everyone in this world of print is suffering.
Photographers aren't the only ones.

And so let's not point fingers. Helping Julie isn't going to cost you a job.
That job is already gone. We have to accept that the world is different, and
there are many out there that feel that they can do these things themselves.
Some will succeed-they will think their work is wonderful and many will
think it abysmal, but that doesn't really matter. Because they will do it
anyway. So to punish someone who is just trying to do her work doesn't help,
and won't fix your world.

The truth is the world is changing, and those of us who have worked in
print, whether it's photography or design, must adapt or wither.

and that  is my ever so humble submission on this night of new happenings,

respectfully yours,

dawn