Business was RE: Question about lighting...

Hi Ya Jeff,

It's both a rant and a whine. The SF bay area has been hit really hard
with the downturn in the market, the drop in ad business as well as
editorial gigs, and direct marketing pieces have gutted several of my
friends and competitors. Many ended up selling their gear, closing or
drastically cutting back to stay alive. I have prospered this last year,
(without being a bottom feeder) and have even had the cash to buy some
new gear. I have also had to keep a full time job outside photography to
keep a home over mine and my wife's head.

04 looks like it will improve, with the increase in calls I am getting
and the fact that some of my old clients, are working again at new jobs.

The Silicon Valley has been depressed for over 3 years now and growth is
slow. To boot we actually had photographers from other markets come here
to try and set up jobs. I keep my ear close to the ground in the local
fashion, business and food markets. The outside photographers were
contacting local ad agencies at a rate 3x from before. From what I
understand many thought they would be bigger fish in a smaller pond..

Usually LA and NY shooters stay (generally) within their markets, ours
was considered small by comparison.

Amateurs have eroded that market even further. This is a very tech savvy
area since most of the fun stuff is invented right here. Apple, Adobe
just to name a few. In 99 my client list was over 30 companies, it is a
third of that now and only a hand full have projects in the hopper, with
more shooters trying to get those gigs.

In order for my business to survive I have had to make deep cuts in
profit margins, increase give aways and lower some prices to compete. I
know the capabilities of the other local shooters, they are second to
none, but the clients w/ paying gigs have smaller budgets, and demand
lower prices. And not a few gigs are going to in-house folks w/ digital
cameras, closing pros out entirely.

I am optimistic  about the coming year, but I will not help non pros
take gigs no matter how small.

Les Baldwin
Happy New Year