RE: PRINTER resolutions & colors

I'm not sure if this had been already answered.
Print resolution and image resolution are different things.
Print resolution determine how "crowded" will the ink droplets be on the
paper.
Usually you can't observe how 2880 is better than 1440 or even 720 !
2880 however consume more ink than 1440.
Image resolution is important for "delivering" the image information to the
printer.
Printers "need "  220 - 360 dpi for quality printing while computer screen
display need only 72 - 100 dpi to show you the same quality.
I had an interesting experience with print resolution:
I sent an image to the printer to be printed in 2880 dpi. the printer
stopped at the middle of the job because I hadn't enough
free memory.  Then I changed it to 1440 and printed it again. ( all other
parameters was the same )
to my surprise the primary color of the second print came out a little bit
different from the half first.
It was really a minor change that most of the people wouldn't see.
My explanation to this is that the extra dpi control better performing
complicated colors. ( like 16 bits image instead of 8 ).
In 2880 every "pixel" is made of 4 ink droplets instead of 1 in 1440 and
those 4 can be of different hue.

Pini

Pini Vollach
http://www.pinimage.com