Re: TIF or JPEG

At 12:23 PM 12/7/2003 +1100, you wrote:

Have you all seriously considered the fact that jpg compression does not treat images equally? Some images compress substantially without "appearing" to lose anything, while other images look awful with minimal amounts of compression.

Shawna

Yes. Most people have observed that when an image is saved in JEPG format at a given quality value the actual compression ratio is dependent on image detail. I mentioned that fact in my first post to this thread.

I save to JPG at the highest quality value offered by the image processor used and the compression ratio varies with image but will never be less than five to one. Most digital camera makers use quality compression of around eight to one. I have never noticed a JPEG that looked awful when saved at PS value of 12 or a PW Pro value of 95 or higher. Seven or eight years ago I spent several hours comparing TIFF files to highest quality JPEGs of the same image and could find no difference in prints or on monitor. I did it again when I purchased my first 720dpi printer with no change. Your results may differ but I can't imagine why unless your files are damaged somehow.

Dave
East Englewood
"When one buys some of my artwork I hope it is because they will wish to learn from it and not because they think it will match their drapes!"
- <http://www.quoteland.com/author.asp?AUTHOR_ID=768>Christian Cardell Corbet