Gallery review

OK, here goes:

Pini Vollach: Nordic Light, looming form (I suppose this is part of the armaments that protected you from us across the water... :-)). I think I would have lowered the camera some to get the tops of those brick pillars show against the sky. Your choice (it is to exact to be accidental) was to keep them just below, but I miss a stronger counterpoint to the buiding than those tiny trees,

C J R Strevens, Junction nr Clapham Jctn: Colourful drabness. For some reason this type of picture is almost always b/w; the colours do add a dimension. Should be much larger to see details and texture. Not a part of London that the tourist sees much of. I lived in a similar neighbourhood in the Midlands for one summer in the ´60:s (a far more rewarding experience than it sounds like).

Emily L Ferguson, Tatoosh: Lovely colour, not just the usual Kodachrome sunset. The cloud bank echoes the island´s land mass. Another place I "almost visited" (spent too much time in the rain forest, so I had to skip the excursion to Neah). See what I missed!

Achal Pashine, Golden Gate: Sure is a cliché; every picture of that fabulous place is. This must be from somewhere on the Conzelman Rd side? That tree disturbs me; I know you can seldom stand where you need to in that area, but I want the tree in the right end of the ridge...

WRGill, Sunset at Pescadero Pt: A bit too dark on my monitor; difficult to make ot the tree silhouette against the top cloud. Otherwise OK for a sunset, although I prefer Emily´s version. Anyway, a strong Pacific show this week; makes me want to go there again.

Scott Thurmond, Blue Morpho: Beautiful! Could be used as an illustration or as decoration (just think of a wallpaper with a random pattern of similar images). Another one that could be bigger to see all the detail in the wings.

Bob Talbot, Evidence: A Great Auk, no doubt. Making everybody think it is extinct, just to preserve some privacy...

Laurenz Bobke: Another sunset from the Pacific area (well, roundabouts...). Reminds me of some of Galen Rowell´s Alpenglow shots. I miss something recognizable in the near foreground.

Shawna Hanel, Blue Dot Center: Now that I´ve finally seen the context for Shawna´s work, I have to say that this is one picture that would work even on its own. Beautiful blue tones, interesting lines and shapes, excellent balance.

Jim *Duck* Davis, Is this the Matrix?: Gave me a small shock when I saw it. In our frigid part of the world, it is not too uncommon to find dead birds partly covered in ice, and that´s what I thought it was. But this one´s alive, obviously. Surprised 1/350th was sufficient for that look of the water.

Veli Cigirgan, Looking out...: A somber picture (certainly intentional). Evocative, but that red mooring thing (my English is a bit short on naval terms) outside is a bit distracting.

That´s it (this week I double-checked that I didn´t forget anybody).

Per